These images show my first finished balcony design- which overall I was happy with as I felt that it gave a good balance of seating, standing space and storage. I measured out each piece accurately with a 3mm thickness and the other respective sizes to ensure that it would be to scale with my final model.
Minor details, such as leaving a 3mm gap on the side beams meant that I had designed a section which was suitable for slot construction (with an allowance for thickness of materials)
I showed this design to Helen, before drawing it up on illustrator, ready to be laser cut, and was given a number of points of constructive criticism to work from.
-the railings on the balcony are too low
-the steps on the inside are unnecessary, make it a door instead
-the slot design on the front is not aesthetically appealing for a student space- do a more modern design
-simplify the outdoor space but still add some seating.
Overall, whilst these comments were jarring, as they were quite different from my design that I had made, I understand what Helen was saying and so, as shown above, changed my design accordingly.
I have made the glass front into a single panel, made the interior steps into a door, raised the exterior railing and moved and reduced the exterior seating.
These changes have made the design more user friendly aswlel as improving the overall aesthetic appeal- something which was given as a design requirement in my client feedback. From these changes, I will now draw the design on adobe illustrator and check all the scales and sizes before laser cutting