I decided to use cardboard for my early modelling stages, to further understand scale and necessity of material. I did this because it is a cheap material which is readily accessible in the workshop. Once a final design has been decided on, a more substantial material such as laser cut ply (3mm) or acrylic will be used for a more impressive overall finish.
Initial sketching out of the pavilion layout- using loose cardboard pieces for ease of movement. By not sticking the pieces down- I was able to rearrange them in order to get an accurate amount of layers to result in the model standing up and balancing.
Here, I have been working out the technical details for each layer of the pavilion, considering thickness and depth between each piece in order to ensure a balance and offsetting both sides to keep it upright. My initial design, as a concept, is something I am happy with- however it is not suitable for modelling as the model would not be able to be secured into the ground with concrete- as my concept was meant to do. To show this idea, I plan on using Photoshop to edit my concept with rendering and backgrounds to convey my ideas.
During final CAD drawing stages I drew an orthographic angle of the model to see that there is potential for seating on both sides of the pavilion. This is important to consider as my intention when redesigning crescent was to provide more outdoor seating for the residents.