Constructing the balcony- combining Perspex and wood 

From doing media experimentation, with the solvent glue, that I used on the perspex- I discovered that the glue did not adhere the perspex onto the MDF as it absorbed the glue. From doing experiments with different solvents and getting peer feedback I discovered that using a thicker glue which was not solvent based would be useful. This being said, the alternative glue that I chose to use took a significantly longer time to dry, meaning that I had to make a jig in order to keep all the angles sharp and correct. If I were to do this again, I would have experimented with solvents sooner, during the creation process, as it would have saved more time and meant that I could get the best possible glue with the most effective strength for the model. 

I chose to stick as much of the perspex together before attaching it to the MDF as it meant that there was a stronger foundation for the MDF to attach to. This was something that I found difficult because the liquid super glue that I was using was very brittle and resulted in the perspex being fragile. This proved problematic when I attempted to attach it to the wood as it required pressure to be applied between the wood and the perspex. I made jigs from small blocks of wood and ensured that the model was left on its side in order to apply sufficient pressure to the model whilst not having to clamp it/hold it in place.  

As I adhered the balcony to the perspex, it meant that there was a lot of weight which was overhanging from the model. This meant that, upon initially making the model, it did not stand up independently,  as there was an uneven weight distribution. The way in which I solved this problem was by asking the technician to use the band saw to cut a base panel of MDF which I could attach the base of the laser cut MDF to. 

Overall, I am happy with the finished product of the model as it is sufficiently contemporary in its aesthetic whilst not being too minimalistic to not convey the concept which I am proposing.

If I were to do the modelling process again, I would use 5/6mm MDF, as it would supply a stronger and more stable base for the balcony- although for the use of a stationary model, this level of support was sufficient for exhibition purposes. The part of the model which I am happiest with is the accuracy of each cut and the lack of how apparent the glue marks are. An aspect of the model which I would change/improve is the slight droop in the balcony hanging over. This is due to the thickness of the material and its integrity of the glue to hold it in place. If I were to add additional supports under or over the balcony, in order to attach it more effectively to the building, it may hinder the overall appearance, but would provide a more stable build.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s